Prescott Kiddos

Prescott Kiddos

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mothers that should go down in history

I am not a poet, a musician, or an eloquent novelist so I won't write a poem, a song, or a book to so the great things that I have been able to accomplish because of the mothers in my life.

First of all I will mention my own mother. A woman who loved her children more than anything else in this life. She made sacrifice after sacrifice to ensure that her children grew up right. She was an excellent example of a righteous mother. Some of the things I remember most about her are the countless times I ventured out of my bedroom late at night to tell her I couldn't sleep and finding her on her knees praying (probably for us kids) or studying her scriptures. I remember her going to great lengths to have family home evening every Monday night, making assignments for who would plan the lesson, who would pick the song, who would say the prayers, and, my favorite part, who would make dessert. I don't remember ever making a dessert when it was my turn, I do remember telling her what I wanted and having it 'magically,' or so I thought, appear after family home evening. I learned countless and priceless lessons from her, the most difficult being that you don't know how wonderful your mother is till she's gone. The greatest lesson being a lesson of love. I have often thought that she loved us so perfectly that this world could no longer hold her in it.

Secondly, Dana Prescott. After my mother passed away Keith and Dana didn't even hesitate to move their new family to Brigham City to take care of the four of us that were still living at home. They went from being parents a new born baby to being the soul providers for two emotional teenage girls and two confused little boys in addition to their own son. I never heard a complaint about it from Dana. She seemed so willing to sacrifice everything she had planned for her future, and that of her family's, to make sure that Doris, Camilla, Karl and myself turned out the way that Mom wanted us to. In addition to raising the four of us, she raised her own group of rowdy sons, stood behind (probably pushing) her husband in his schooling, and remained positive. I honestly do not know how Dana has accomplished what she has, and amazingly enough still has no gray hair, at least none that any of us are aware of. If I had to take just one lesson from Dana's life it would be that 'sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.'

Thirdly my mother-in-law, Connie Taylor. If just saying that she is the mother of ten children, eight of which she had at home, isn't enough to make her an historic mother then whomever writes this history book should try following her around for one day. I'm sure that each of her children could write books about the great things their mother did and still does for them. What amazes me is that Connie is the most humble lady I've ever met. I don't know of anyone that can drive almost 400 miles in a single day, never leaving Northern Utah, running kids to school activities, swimming, piano, choir, etc., visit their parents, and some how have time to stop by to see her grandson and make sure that Alice is doing okay then go home and not think she is deserving of some kind of award, a medal, ribbon, bow... or something. She doesn't expect anything in return, however going to bed at 7:30 or 8 would be nice for a change.

Lastly, the greatest of them all. My beautiful wife. If there was ever a combination of my Mom, Dana, and Connie, it is Alice. There aren't words great enough to describe just how wonderful she is. Everyday I ask myself how I got this lucky and everyday I thank my Heavenly Father for sending Alice to me. Alice could be almost done with college right now if I hadn't come along and swept her off her feet. Instead of becoming the great doctor she would have been, she decided that being a mother would be the greatest career of all. With the humility of her mother, the willingness to sacrifice her time and talents to help everyone she can (always being the first to offer to help and the last to ask for it), and a Christlike love that radiates from her she is the greatest mother in history. She likes to say that little Keith is more of a Daddy's boy than a Mama's boy, but I disagree. As soon as that boy needs help, is hungry, is hurt, or is lonely he only knows one word and that word is, "MAMA!" My hope for all of the children we have is that they are more like their mom than their dad.

Mom, Dana, Connie, and Alice I am eternally grateful for the lives that you live and have lived. Your examples are priceless. I do not dare imagine what life would be like without mothers like you.

7 comments:

connie said...

Makes me want to cry Cameron!!! Beautiful. Thanks so much for being such a great guy yourself!:>

Lauren Elizabeth Stanford said...

You are such a great husband Cameron. I think it really means a lot to alice that you appreciate and recognize all that she does and sacrifices. Keep being such a great hubby and daddy! :)

Kate said...

Cameron, that was so sweet, I almost cried. Well put, we are so glad you are in our family!

Kuks said...

How dare you make me cry! What a moving tribute. You are a wonderful person and mom would be soooo proud of you.

The Faucheux's said...

That is pretty amazing and very true...except for the part about me being emotional! Alice is such a wonderful person and we have all been so blessed with the mother's in our lives.

Dana Prescott said...

I can't believe it took me this long to find this tribute. I sue wish I would have seen it on Mother's day, because I sure could have used it, but I'll cherish it forever. All that the mothers in the world ever really want is for the people they love and serve to occasionally say, "I notice all that you do and I appreciate it."
I am blessed to have had a part in YOUR life for you truly are one of the Lords chosen.

Dana Prescott said...

Cam Excellent job! This puts my Mothers Day note to shame. You will go far.

And the mothers out there... thanks for motivating and improving all of us. The Prescott boys need all the help we can get. Keith